Performance Without Barriers
Sonic Arts Research Centre at Queen's collaboration with Drake Music Project Northern Ireland
Dr Franziska Schroeder (Sonic Arts Research Centre, School of Arts, English and Languages) and Dr Michelle McCormack (CEO Drake Music NI)
What is at the heart of our thinking?
Three questions are at the heart of our thinking:
(1) Music technology as barrier and as facilitator
- To what extent can the design of music technologies enhance and facilitate participation in music making and in what ways do practices with music technology produce opportunities for inclusion or exclusion for disabled people?
(2) Understandings of disability
- To what extent can more inclusive approaches to music making empower disabled people to participate more fully in music making and technology; thus challenging exclusionary practices and the marginalisation of disabled people in music making?
(3) Challenging traditional musical ontology
- In what ways can practices of design, making and use of accessible digital musical instruments challenge traditional ontologies of music? To what extent, if at all, is improvisation with accessible music technology an enabling and inclusive form of music making for disabled people?